REQUIRED JOB SKILLS:
- Must live in the Baton Rouge, LA. area.
- Ability to work nights, weekends, holidays, and in the elements of nature
- Must be capable of occasional heavy lifting of or carrying of 50 pounds
- Organized, detail-oriented
- Ability to operate standard office equipment
- Self-motivated and multi-task oriented
- Work 10 to 12-hour rotating shift, with weekend & on call responsibilities at times
- Exposed to the elements of nature (heat, cold, rain, ice, sleet, etc)
- Exposed to slip and trip hazards (wires, ropes, hoses, etc)
- Ability to safely perform task wearing required Personal Protective Equipment, such as steal toe shoes, hard hat, goggles, ear protection, gloves, and full face respirator.
Kirby Inland Marine operates the nation’s largest fleet of inland tank barges and towing vessels. Kirby’s service area spans America’s inland waterway network: The Gulf Intracoastal Waterway, the Mississippi River, the Illinois River, the Ohio River and numerous other waterways. Kirby operates 849 active inland tank barges and 220 active towing vessels. Kirby represents the industry leader in safety, customer service and environmental protection.
Pilot position summary: As a pilot, you are responsible for managing the vessel, the vessel's personnel and all barges in tow. You will be responsible for all crew members and their adherence to all United States Coast Guard regulations and company policies.
You will be expected to navigate the vessel in a safe manner and ensure safety rules are followed by everyone.
You will be reporting to the Captain of the vessel and the shoreside vessel operations group.
Applicant must hold a Master/Mate of Towing Tessels or Master 200 GT (or more), with towing vessels endorsement.